We could not remove the F clutch and freewheel until the rear axle parts were removed. So, that was the next step.
To remove this part, we removed the looooong yellow Torx T-40 bolts at the end of the housing.
We next focused on the flange to which the drive shaft attaches. That area is filthy with black grease, so after trying to tough it out for a while, we gave up and cleaned all the grease off.
First, we removed the rearmost part.
With the flange removed, the rearmost portion of the transmission was a plate. We removed the fasteners around that plate, and then removed the plate.
With the plate removed, the Torsen differential unit can be lifted out.
The next step is to remove the large rear housing.
Sandwiched between that housing and the body of the transmission is another housing, perhaps an inch or two thick. We removed that too.
That enabled us to plainly see the output shaft from transmission, and an intermediate gear that meshes with that. That gear, in turn, also meshes with a gear on a shaft that sends the power to the front differential.
The output shaft of the transmission has some gears and bearings that slide onto it; we removed them.
We removed the intermediate gear too. Under that gear is a pressed-in bearing that obscures some fasteners that we needed to remove to free the F clutch and freewheel inside the transmission. Removing this bearing was a huge pain. We destroyed the bearing in the process. We tried various pullers and tools, including two special mini-prybars that we’d bought from Snap-On. Finally, the business end of a massive 30mm wrench managed to work the bearing loose. A replacement bearing cost us about $35 plus shipping.